Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Trigger for Tears

A thermometer? Where are the thermometers?! I can't find a thermometer!!! Emotion wells up inside of me. Holding back the tears, I finish up my shopping quickly and head to the van. "Why am I crying over a thermometer?!!" I think to myself. I wanted to get a thermometer with fahrenheit to take with us on our move to Uganda.

It didn't take me long to realize that I wasn't "really" crying over the thermometer. It simply represents for me, in a way, living in America. For the most part, I can run to the store and get just about anything we ever want or need easily and quickly. If I can't find it at one store, then I can simply head on over across town and most likely find it at another. Even if I encounter the worst case scenario and I am unable to find it, I can go on the internet and order it to arrive at my home within a reasonable amount of time.

Knowing Uganda stands in stark contrast to such conveniences, the thermometer reminded me of the HUGE transitions ahead for our family and myself. Suddenly, I was overcome with emotions and thoughts rushing to my mind. "Can I do this, Lord?" He gently spoke to my heart with reassurances. He is so very gracious to me in so many ways. After sharing some of my tears, I felt better.

Then this morning, God knew I needed even more reassurance. He took me to Jeremiah 1 in my quiet time with Him. There we find the 'Call of Jeremiah' and words like "Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, before you were born I set you apart; I appointed you as a prophet to the nations."

"Ah, Sovereign Lord," I said, "I do not know how to speak; I am only a child." (from verses 5-6) Boy, can I relate! 'I am only a child.' That is exactly how I have been feeling lately.

In these passages though, God gently encourages my heart that He has prepared me for this next life assignment from before I was born. He knew that He would be sending our family to Uganda long before it ever entered my mind. And He promises to be with me through every step of the way. He will be my words, so to speak. He will provide my every need.

Lately, I have been struck by the sheer enormity of His graciousness. Most missionaries go to their new assignment and have to start from scratch. No house. They must wait for their belongings to arrive. No place to call home for awhile and they must live in complete transition in the interim.

When we arrive, we will not only have most of our earthly possessions waiting for us, but we have a home (and not just any home)and even a puppy to welcome us! God placed Andrew and Karina Smith there in Uganda before us who have been working feverishly in between all of their other many tasks, to help smooth our way. We are SO BLESSED!!! GOD IS GOOD!!!

In the words of Jeremiah 1:17-19, "Get yourself ready! Stand up and say to them whatever I command you. Do not be terrified ... for I am with you and will rescue you," declares the Lord.

2 comments:

  1. Michelle, you are so ready for this! If anyone can do it, you can. And God has gone before you so who can stand against that?! Let the tears go and stand firm in that. This is His plan and he'll work it out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Praying you have arrived "home" now. Blessings!

    ReplyDelete