Thursday, October 13, 2011

Not Just Toys

I don't know about you, but part of going to Grandma's house meant a visit to the toy basket or the toy drawer. It was always there, waiting for us to explore and enjoy. There were special toys that we only played with on our visits there. For me, it was that special doll at Grandma Kilday's house in Keizer. It was the bottom drawer of the green desk at Grandma Thompson's where there was an assundry of things like marbles and puzzles and games.
If those toys had suddenly disappeared or not been there, something would have been missing. It was just part of the experience. Like cookies in the cookie jar. Somehow it made the visit special.
It never occurred to me that there were other children that visited that same toy basket and drawer. It never occurred that those toys were special to my cousins or my grandparents other grandchildren or visitors. Somehow, they were part of me.
I know. They're just toys. But when you associate certain 'things' with people who mean so much to you, somehow they are no longer just toys.

No comments:

Post a Comment